Wednesday 20 February 2013

Dressing up like in the Old Days-Tetzaveh

Parashat Tetzaveh starts with the commandment to use pure olive oil in the menorah. The rest of the parasha is a detailed account of the clothes of the Kohanim and Kohen Gadol.

The oil the girls know well from Channukah. The clothes of the Kohen led to an interesting discussion.
"Were only boys allowed to be Kohanim?" Cohava asked.
"Yes."
"But that's not fair," Gabi replied. This was surprising because the girls have never before mentioned gender distinctions. I contemplated describing korbanot to make them thankful it was a job they could never have, but decided against it.
"Could I be a rabbi?" I asked them. I was curious what they knew about this topic.
"No. But you are married to Abba and he is a rabbi," Gabi explained.
"And that makes you a rabbanit, not a rabbi," Cohava continued.
"Do I have special jobs then?" I asked.
"Yes, you teach and stuff."
"Then maybe there are Kohanits," Gabi suggested.
"Maybe," I agreed.

To celebrate the clothes of the Kohen, I decided to make paperdolls. A quick google search proved that I did not have to recreate the wheel. The Kohen could be found here. And the clothes here.
I printed the images and the girls got to work.

But they were confused by the idea of paperdolls. I was saddened to realize there isn't much room for paperdolls in the world of ipads. My feeling old in response to their reactions was compounded by Cohava's reader for the day. It was called "The Old Things" and described 'obsolete' items like inkwells - and cameras which use film.


 Whether paperdolls and film are items of yesteryear, the Torah is always relevant. I hope that is what my girls are learning from the parasha projects.

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment