Saturday 3 May 2014

More Emor

Parashat Emor, cliff-notes to My Life As A Kohen and Jewish Festivals, along with a few other things thrown in for good measure.
Within Jewish Festivals, we have the counting of the Omer, marking the 49 days between Bnei Yisrael leaving Egypt at Pesach, and the receiving of the Torah on Shavuot.  Obviously we are in that period now.
Last year we made a paper omer counter. It was wonderful. It involved writing numbers, number sequence, taking turns, and Torah learning. It doesn't get much better than that.

But as I mentioned there, it wasn't something which could be saved from year to year. The paper was too delicate. This year I decided to replicate the good of the project, but with a more durable product.

The goal was to make one of these wall-pendant/banner things with one through 49 written on it.  This would make the room festive, and as soon as you see it you think, "oh, did I count yet?".


This could be made out of paper like last year, but I wanted something more durable. Plastic!
Confession: sometimes I am not as eco-friendly as I'd like and forget to bring 'green bags' to the store. Therefore, I have a stash of plastic bags. I gave the kids a sample triangle, scissors and some plastic bags. They got to work.

After 49 (and a few extra) were cut it was time to write the numbers on them in permanent marker. Then whole punch each twice and string them.

The girls had friends over every day after school this week. I thought this meant there would be extra helpers for parasha project. Instead it meant excited playmates. The project didn't get finished, but everyone had fun.

Keep counting.


As I have mentioned a few times, I make my challah in the shape of something related to the parasha, instead of a traditional braid. This week I was thinking, 'Pieces of wheat, like for the omer. What does wheat look like? Oh, a long braid.' I wonder if the original challah braids were done by someone like me, who just made them thematically, and then got stuck on braids ;-).

Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment