Friday 25 April 2014

STOP! We are Holy!

This week's parasha, Kedoshim, contains some incredibly profound, and succinct laws. The most famous is ואהבת לרעך כמוך  v'ahvta l'reacha kamocha, 'love your neighbor as yourself'.  Often referred to as 'the Golden Rule' this concept has been embraced by many cultures. Rashi and many others site this as the fundamental law of the Torah. 

It is a beautiful idea and very easy to utter. But very hard to actualize. The rabbis offer guidance on how this is practically applied in various settings. But simply, if we actually put ourselves in another's shoes would we still act that way?

I find myself yelling 'Stop!' at my girls far too often. "Stop fighting!" "Stop hitting your sister!" You get the idea. Do you think they ever stop because I yell stop?

I decided to re-brand the word 'stop'. After some thought, I came up with this:

The image should speak for itself. The girls and I spent time discussing it. 
"Ima, you make dis all by yourself, so pretty!" complimented Ruti.
"Ima, did you know it spells stop both ways? Like along the top and side?" Cohava pointed out.
"Proceed. I like that word," Gabi muttered, staring at the image.



Then I made lots of the image smaller. I folded the page in half, lining up the image exactly, and laminated it. In the open area we will punch holes, and these will be charms to necklaces or bracelets. 

Wear it, see it, STOP. And love the people around you. 

Many different projects could be done with this. I hope my image will be used and help people fulfill this crucial mitzvah.

Shabbat Shalom! Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment