Friday 10 July 2020

Hallah books

To accompany the hallah day bag making excitement, I read a few stories which involve the bread of Shabbat.
Rise & Shine: A Challah-Day Tale by Karen Ostrove
Apparently I did not invent the Hallah Day pun. I changed the Yiddish in the story to Ladino to connect with my Sephardi community. Everything else about the story is universal.  

Is It Shabbos Yet? by Ellen Emerman is a wonderful classic.  When I read it to children of all ages they ask the question with her. I encourage them to act out each step in preparing for Shabbat. There is always an audible sigh of contentment when it finally is Shabbat.
Koala Challah by Laura Gehl. I thought as someone who resided in Australia, this story extra exciting. The title might be better than the text but it is a fun read.

What is your favorite Shabbat book/story?

No comments:

Post a Comment